OKOBAN - tags to assist in returning lost items
Is anyone here familiar with OKOBAN? It is a tag (luggage tag or sticker), each with a unique id. You buy the tags/stickers and attach them to your stuff (luggage, cellphone, ipad, laptop, etc). If you lose something (that is tagged), and someone finds it, he/she can look up the id on the OKOBAN website and indicate that the item was found. OKOBAN then sends a message (email and/or text) to the owner indicating that the item was found and including whatever other info the finder entered on the website (contact phone number, etc).
Anyway, I thought it sounded like a pretty cool idea, but I have been able to find very little information about it, aside from company-provided information. It does say on the OKOBAN website that it is owned (or related to) TravelSentry, which seems like a reputable company.
Has anyone used OKOBAN? Are there other systems that provide similar capability (tag your stuff, register it online, finders of your lost stuff can go to a website to, hopefully, reconnect you with your stuff). It looks like Dynotag, while not exactly the same, can be used in a similar fashion.
Thanks for any info that anyone can provide.0
So, this is asset management. My domain expertise is in this field, so you are describing a means to barcode or tag things and then scan them to interrogate the attached item.
You could accomplish the same thing with QR codes, for example, on sturdy / durable label stock. Enroll the QR code on your website, create a link, and anyone scanning would be brought to the page for that item. This is simple stuff really, so I imagine you'd be paying for someone else to provide the management software solution and enrollment of your "stuff".
This would be cool for Good Samaritans trying to return found items. I'm not sure how much a service company could add as value beyond giving you a form to enter in details about your stuff, and contact info for a range of items. I don't imagine you'd be enrolling lots of things, and this doesn't really do much for bad actors finding your stuff.
Honestly, for personal use, a simple generic QR code with your personal website is probably enough. The provenance is less important.
Why not just put down your phone number on the tag? "If found, call xxx-xxx-xxxx" Olde skool, but it works fine.
try stuffback.com it is similar. www.stuffback.com They have tags for all different types of items. I have used it for years. Yet to have a lost item I needed back lost but it does give comfort. They have a reward system for items returned as well.
You can get more information about Okoban at mystufflostandfound.com
There are 2,000 laptops left at US airport security checkpoints every day. Only 30% are returned. The other 70% are salvage because finding the owner is too difficult. The worldwide Okoban notification service operates in more than 2,200 airports, on 400+ airlines and in thousands of "frequent finder" locations, institutional lost and found facilities including TSA, rail, maritime, coach, car rental and hotel companies. Available online at mystufflostandfound.com
There used to be a company that provided a sticker-based return-and-recover service called TrackItBack. But it's out of business.
The first company listed in my google search is Rewardtag. It describes itself as (naturally) "the most effective, hassle-free lost and found service on the planet!" It's a bit coy about its pricing.
A cool tool can be any book, gadget, software, video, map, hardware, material, or website that is tried and true. All reviews on this site are written by readers who have actually used the tool and others like it. Items can be either old or new as long as they are wonderful. We post things we like and ignore the rest. Suggestions for tools much better than what is recommended here are always wanted.Tell us what you love.
- Ask Cool Tools
- Autonomous Motion
- Big Systems
- Dead Tools
- General Purpose Tools
- Inner Space
- Life on Earth
- Living on the Road
- Media Tools
- Paper World
- Prove Us Wrong
- Readers' Gifts
- Related Stuff
- Science Method
- Source Wanted
- Tool Chest
- Visual Media
- What's in My Bag