login ask-a-question questions unanswered tags faq

My fiancée recently got assaulted and had her computer stolen while in Bangladesh. We've learned our lesson about travelling with uninsured valuable technology, and I was wondering if anybody had found a good solution for future trips abroad. I am also interested for local solutions, but I am pretty sure my homeowners insurance covers anything while in-country.

asked Oct 23 '11 at 13:21

oliver's gravatar image


Travel insurance is usually pointless for expensive electronic items like cameras and computers because of low coverage limits and high deductibles, so I have a "personal articles" rider on my renter's insurance policy which covers specific named items (my computer, my camera and lenses, &c.) against almost anything that might happen to them anywhere in the world. I haven't had to make a claim against the insurance (luckily), but it's cheap enough (about $30/year for $3000 worth of items) that I find the peace of mind to be worth it. Talk to the provider of your homeowner's insurance and see what they offer.


answered Oct 24 '11 at 16:52

aneel's gravatar image


edited Oct 24 '11 at 16:53

Personal articles rider on your home owners or renters policy. Keep it updated with accurate descriptions and serial numbers. This is especially important if you have a "replacement cost" clause. If you travel with expensive photography gear, keep in mind that camera bodies get updated and replaced on a fairly regular basis....but good lenses are for life and rarely lose much value. If you want to save, you can selectively cover the items you just can't afford to replace should they be stolen, damaged, lost, or destroyed and then "self-insure" the rest by setting aside a small saving account. Some photogs insure their lenses through a rider, but self-insure camera bodies they know they can replace or will want to replace with an updated version for less than the price of one piece of good glass.


answered Oct 24 '11 at 19:29

Iowill's gravatar image


Related: I always scan my passport, drivers license, credit cards, etc. and send the pictures to myself in an email before traveling. Then if they are misplaced or stolen, I have some evidence of my identity.


answered Oct 25 '11 at 14:47

William%20Eberwein's gravatar image

William Eberwein

It's generally not worth insuring things that you can afford to replace. For computers, the data is generally the valuable part--back up at least once a day.

The smaller the cost of the item, the larger the insurance overhead and the worse of a deal you will be getting on the insurance.

The best method? Self insure. Keep around enough savings to replace anything you own.


answered Nov 05 '11 at 17:51

shandrew's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported


Asked: Oct 23 '11 at 13:21

Seen: 6,316 times

Last updated: Nov 05 '11 at 17:51

Related questions

powered by OSQA