(Click on images to embiggen) I have a bag of bags approach. Small bags pre-loaded with stuff ready to go, and a big bag to carry the small ones. My big bag is a Mini Messenger bag from San Francisco’sRickshaw Bagworks. I customized it with a stealth reflective 8-bit skull. Here are my sub-bags: Apple Bag: This $1.50 bag from the Daiso ¥100 (100 yen) store in San Francisco is a great resource for all sorts on neat stuff. Almost every small bag I own is from Daiso. It contains:
- Lightning to SD reader with Micro SD insert for my iPhone and iPad: $34
- Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter: $29
- Lighting to old style 30 pin adapter: $42
- Ear Buds
- Stereo jumper cable
- AC/DC to USB charger: $13
- Not shown: Lighting to VGA Adapter
Chow Bag: Yep, I carry my own utensils in a flashlight sheath. No flimsy little plastic toys for me. And yes, I love Chopsticks and think they are very elegant and will whip them out every meal instead of the landfill choice. (Cutting your food to size helps.) It contains:
- Brunton FlipSticks folding chopsticks: $25
- Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spork: $10
- Folding Fruit Inspection Knife/Fork: $10
- The Goal Zero will charge my iPhone to 100%, bonus it uses rechargeable AA batteries that are removable for other uses: $40
- The very useful Power Practical Meter and Fast Charge Cable will even monitor your charging levels: $20
- Brookstone Super Lite: $13
- A tiny 3 mode selectable red LED flashlight, on, flashing, and flashing fast. Found at local flea market.
- Spare 2032 coin cells for these both.
- Credit-card sized USB Flash Drive swag that I dressed up with a Boing Boing Jackhammer Jill sticker. She is so cute!
- The one and only “Half the Pressure, Twice the Speed” Blackwing 602: $23/12-pack
- Soft cover spiral notebook – 5mm Square Ruled that I tastefully recovered to look like a Make Magazine mini Makers Notebook.
- Facial tissues (can be used on both ends)
- Cleaning tissues, for the iPhone and iPad screens: $9
- Well, I do carry 4 Dice. Never know when a West Coast Ce-Lo game may come up. Yeah, I know, only 3 dice are needed, but it is nice to have choice’s in life. [Review here
- Real Artistic License on C.I.A Retractable Badge Reel ( found at Flea Market)
- Small business cards printed on 3′x5′ recipe card stock and cut to size.
- Fingernail clippers and that thick alcohol stuff to wipe and your hands and sanitize to surgery room cleanliness.
- First aid kit and pill safe.
- Starbucks VIA instant coffee. That you can mix into any liquid hot or cold, really! $31/50-pack
- iPad mini with its magnetic cover that magically turns it off.
- iPhone 5s (is the v6 here yet?)
- A ripstop nylon shopping bag.
You really should see my mini tool bag, photo bag, camping kitchen bag, bag of shopping bags, bag o….I need a new bag.
[OK, now it's your turn. Send photos of the things in your bag (and of the bag itself, if you love it), along with a description of the items and why they are useful. Make sure the photos are large (1200 pixels wide, at least) and clear. Use a free file sharing service like Bitcasa to upload the photos, and email the text to email@example.com. -- Mark Frauenfelder]